Lena grew up in an orphanage in St Petersburg. She joined Sunflower’s support programme two years ago after she split up with her boyfriend. She had realised that she was getting tetchy and tearful and was going out drinking more often. At around this time, Lena lost two fingers in an industrial accident. Her then boyfriend didn’t visit her in hospital, and this was when she decided to end their strained relationship. Not knowing how to live alone, she said, “I didn’t just lose myself, but my home too. I would do nothing but work, even putting in extra shifts just to avoid having to think about anything.” Continue reading Life changed in so many ways for this orphanage-leaver.
Our Christmas newsletter is out now. Download it to read about Lena’s struggles to overcome relationship difficulties, an accident at work and the temptation of escaping into alcohol. Our Christmas appeal is to help orphanage-leavers like Lena build a stable adult life.
We also have
- a lovely thank you letter from a young girl who took part in the summer activities you helped fund in Kondopoga;
- an ingenious solution to problems some Russian families with severely disabled children face;
- news of events and ways of getting involved with St Gregory’s;
- Volunteer opportunities for 2020 in St Petersburg;
- Offline order details for our Christmas cards.